Press release from Compass Records:
The purchase of this CD helps to provide funding for future projects and assists in spreading the message of Wells for Zoë.
Putting their motto, “A hand up, not a hand-out” into practice, Wells for Zoë founders John and Mary Coyne (parents of tenor banjo player Éamonn Coyne) have assembled a top-notch collection of Celtic and Folk musicians for the purpose of helping the local population of Northern Malawi to access fresh water and create a sustainable living environment.
New tracks from Irish pop icon Sinead O’Connor and Scottish Borders-based singer Karine Polwart along with previously unreleased tracks from singer/songwriters Paul Brady and Dougie MacLean grace the album alongside a new version of an Alison Brown Quartet favorite and a genre-crossing version of the Eurythmics’ “Sisters are Doing it For Themselves” by Irish folk singer Maura O’Connell and Canadian folk band, The Duhks along with Tim O’Brien and John Doyle.
- Well for Zoë – Karine Polwart & Tim O’Brien
- Baby, Let Me Buy You a Drink – Sinéad O’Connor (with Liam Ó Maonlaí) (YouTube clip)
- Cumbia Celtica – Salsa Celtica
- Wading Deep Waters – Crooked Still
- Watermans – Michael McGoldrick
- Sisters Are Doing It for Themselves – Maura O’Connell, The Duhks, Tim O’Brien and John Doyle
- The Wonderful Sea Voyage (of Holy St. Brendan) [New Version] – Alison Brown Quartet with John Doyle & Éamonn Coyne
- I Find Your Love – Beth Nielsen Chapman
- Just In Case of Accidents [Demo Version] – Paul Brady
- The Lakeside Barndances – Éamonn Coyne & Kris Drever
- This Love Will Carry – Dougie MacLean [Previously Unreleased]
- Muddy Water – Heidi Talbot